CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Inevitable is Here

I can feel it happening. I really can. And not only that, I can SEE it happening. It's even painful at times and then there are the times when it's simply hysterical. But most of all, it's inevitable. I might as well quit fighting and just give in. The force is greater than me. It has gained momentum and I am being swept into its raging current. That's right…I'm turning into my parents.

Do you realize that next year I will have a child in middle school? And next year also marks another milestone for me as I round out the ripe age of 30. Remember when 30 meant you were ancient? I do. I was about the age of my oldest daughter! So here I am, facing the music and now fully understanding why my parents did the things they did, said the things they said and went entirely out of their minds! I am officially a grown up! Death to all things fun and impractical! Here's to ingesting Grape Nuts and Geritol every day for the rest of my life! Well…perhaps I am being a bit dramatic.

While I am riding in the car with my husband, I have a bad habit of admiring all of his newly sprouted grey hairs as he drives. I can't help it. They shine like silver in his dark hair. I try to look away but I can't stop staring. It's like a tree ring, of sorts. I see more and more each time I ride in the car with him. It's quite telling of the years we've spent together, raising children, doing the stuff of life while hanging on by the skin of our teeth at times. My first instinct is to grab the tweezers and pluck those suckers but, I think I'm reaching the point where I am willing to submit to the idea that this is all part of it. This is part of God's plan for us. And of course, I'm glad he's the one greying and not me. (snicker)

The other day I was at the center of the universe, Wal-Mart, and I was slowly creeping down the aisle, rummaging through my coupon book and scouring the shelves for my coveted product. An older gentleman stocking shelves said to me, "The coupon lady." I smiled politely and nodded my head in agreement as I mentally began to take ownership of this frugal title. I MUST use my coupons…and count my pennies…and cut some corners…and eat Grape Nuts. I'm a grown up now. This is what grown-ups do. However…I pray the label, "cat lady," is a few years off yet. Meow.

One of the most obvious things to look for when questioning if you are evolving into your parents or not is to take note of where your thought life is. Do you find yourself thinking of mutual funds and saving for your children's education? Do you catch yourself trying to envision a son or daughter-in-law fitting into the family one day? Do you feel totally unprepared for all that will be required of you as your children become young adults and then eventually parents themselves one day? I know I do. When you watch television, do you find yourself watching Fox News or CNN or even worse yet, Nightline? Do you find that the people on the Home Shopping Network are really onto something? Do you find it difficult to stay awake while watching the ten o'clock news? If you answered yes to any of the above, I would be so brave as to suggest that you are, indeed, a grown-up. I apologize if this is a harsh reality for some of you but the sooner you accept it, the sooner you will enjoy watching the Price is Right everyday of your life.

All of this to say that yes, I am now officially my parents. I even say the dreaded phrases that I swore I would not say. You know the ones. "How many times do I have to tell you?" And, "I'm not the maid around here." And of course the infamous, "If you catch anything else on fire we're going to have you deported!" Uh….well, maybe that last one was exclusively for me growing up. But suffice to say, it's alright, fellow adult. You are not alone in this season of life. I too am going through the changes and trying to embrace it with enthusiasm. In fact, I am writing a book about it. It's going to be called, Grape Nuts; 101 Ways.

0 comments: